April 29, 2011

~FrugalB How To~

First I want to clarify that being Frugal by no means is a nice way to say being Cheap. Frugal is defined as, Economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: Think cost per wear or value of consumption (food). Cheap is defined as,costing very little; relatively low in price; inexpensive: a cheap dress.

See two very different things



Any one can be Frugal and at any price point. Being Frugal in my world is obtaining the things we want and need for drastically less than retail. I want to share how I do that.


~Know what is on hand~


Before I purchase anything and I mean anything I know what we have. That goes for any and everything (yes I am saying it again). This is imperative so that you are not over purchasing. Over purchasing defeats the purpose of being frugal. Example:


You find a pair of Nike's for 75% off (Score) and they have multiple sizes. You purchase 2 pair but only one of your kids need shoes. Now you have spent that 25% and the 2nd pair of shoes don't get worn. They are now getting sold at a garage sale for 10% (Maybe less) of what you paid. The value has been lost because you were unable to use them. You lost money, that could have been spent somewhere else.


~Learn to Sew~

I once read that if you can drive you can sew, pretty much. Sewing opens you up to so many more possibilities. The ability to make simple alterations increases the longevity of clothing. Refashioning, think jeans to shorts, Shirt to dress, pants to back pack. Not to mention simple tailoring, the ability to take out a hem and lengthen a pant (I am tall) or hem a pant, affords you more purchasing power.


~Trash ?~

With your new sewing skills and a bit of crafting what you once thought was trash becomes new treasure. Talk about Green Living!


~Hunting~

We all know time is the only non-renewable resource, but to get the deals, especially if you are not into refashioning, you must hunt. I mean hunt like you have no food and need to feed your babies. I know who has a sale when and where, what time of year past season items are going on sale. I make friends, and i mean friends with the employees at my favorite spots. And I have been known to stalk Craigslist and my favorite stores. Now you may get lucky and happen upon a great deal. But live this way it has to become a lifestyle.




~Perspective~

Now that you are crafting, sewing, and not over buying, your view of things will change. Most everything is fabric to me. A sheet can easily become a quilt (once I learn how). The extra funds we save is now a fab Disney Vacation (yes we really did that). And you become a steward of your money and time.

I truly enjoy getting something for less. Especially if it is something we really need. My husband and I have really gotten accustom to living below our means (Not typical Americans). We enjoy the freedom if affords us. I hope this helps.

1 comment:

  1. Us too!Im so glad that you shared this with us insert head hanging in shame cause I have two new machines sitting in the closet not being used.lol

    ReplyDelete