April 18, 2011

~ Sew Fun, Sew Easy, with the right Tools ~

Ok, I come from a long line of seamstress. My grandmother owned and operated a alteration shop in Warner Robins GA for over 30 years. She had 8 children and all but one of them know how to sew (you always have a rebel in the family), and sew well.

My mother did her best to try to "domesticate" me, but I ran. I wanted nothing to do with it. She wrangled me a time or two with the threat of being an "old maid" and I picked up a few things. But for the most part I attempted to stay away. Well just like she said, I wish I had sat for those lessons, I would be so much further. However I will say I am having a blast learning on my terms.

My husband, bless his heart, purchased a beginners Singer sewing machine for me about 5 years ago. I was so busy with work that I can count on my hands how many times I attempted to use it for 3 years. I always found it difficult and chalked it up to my lack of sewing skills. I had my mother attempting to educate me over the phone. I am sure she was perplexed at how much I had forgotten.

I dusted it off 2 years ago when I stayed home with our kids (2 at the time) and I wanted new curtains. I figured I could do it, and I did, but boy was it a chore. Every time I stopped sewing I had to re-thread my bobbin. I would get tension problems in the middle of a project. Basically it was an event to sew anything. I kept thinking I just did not know my machine.

When my mom sewed on my machine she had a lot of the same issues but she could correct them with ease. But even she said that it was annoying. So for the last 6 months I have been machine searching, yearning and drooling. I figure if I was going to do this I needed to do this right and invest in myself and my family.

My initial thought as Frugal B. was to have my sewing machine repaired. I took it to a local store, that of course sells machines, to get it looked at. I called first so I knew there was a $25 diagnostic fee. I dropped it off and couldn't help looking at the shiny new machines and asking questions. The machines ranged in price from $299 to $6,000, whooooooo nelly. I still entertained the salesmen/repair man and gave him my sewing resume. He encouraged me to look into the Janome 2011. Their price was $699 on sale for $599, pricey.

After extensive researched we found that the Janome was the best fit for my skill level and more importantly my pocketbook. Online the same machine was selling for $499 with free shipping, $100 savings. We also found another Janome dealer (30 miles away) that had the $499 with a trade in (any brand machine) and free lessons. The store I had gone to the promotion was no tax in the month of April, along with free sewing lessons for 1 year. I was torn, there was value in both options. So we did what we always do and just asked for them to match the price. Believe it or not they said yes but no lessons.

My husband went to pick up the machine with the CASH (more on that later). He was gone for about 30 minutes and I received a call from the store trainer. Calling to set up my one on one lessons. I was so confused, we weren't supposed to get the lessons. Well I told her that and she said that she was told to call me. That they wanted to offer them to me still (yay)!!!




Meet Abigail






Came with a hard case






50 stitches and an automatic button hole maker



I set up my introduction to the Janome 2011 for Monday, yes yesterday. But of course I couldn't wait. My husband brought her (yes her not it) Sunday at about 1pm and I had this done before 6pm (see below).It would have taken me days to do this on my old Singer, I am over joyed with our purchase. But even happier to know that it wasn't me, it was a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment