January 20, 2013

Buiding a SAHM Network

Last post I talked a little about my SAHM job/profession and how I have been able to make it quite enjoyable this time around (round #2). There was a time when I felt like I had chosen to be home bound and bored. Don't get me wrong, there is a ton to do, but it can get repetitive and lack the mental challenge that is sometimes needed to motivate me to continue on.  I have a quite a few outlets that help me feel like a grown up this time.

My network consists of past coworkers, other mom's I have met during my kids events, and my gym rat associates. Most mom's have a similar (slight variances) avenues of potential networks to build from. The key here is that all relationships have potential,if YOU put in the effort. Put your self out there and invite someone over. You all can chat while the kids play. Go for a girls night, even if the budget it tight, walk around target and look at all the goodies with no kids in tow and finish up with a cup of coffee. Get in shape together, whether it is a group fitness class or getting together for a stroll. What is most important is the adult interaction and conversation.

There are also options for the one car families. One idea is to tag along with a friend a few times a month. I am sure that it can be humbling to ask a friend and fellow SAHM however I promise you the other mom will be so happy you asked, I know I would be. It is a chance to bond and you can return the favor in watching her kiddos for a few hours. Along with that the Internet is a glorious and remarkable avenue to keep in touch and reach out to like minded people. Blogs, like this one :), allow you to peak into the minds of other moms, and they let you comment (neat O). I have heard of many many friendships that start right here in blog land. Sherri from YHL and Katie from Bower Power did just that and are now besties (long distance).

You can also join a gym, while this activity is not free they often offer free childcare during the time you are working out. You can use this time to work out rigorously, clearing your mind and cleansing the sole. You can meet a friend and walk leisurely and chit chat kid free. Or you can take the fitness classes and have access to even more potential SAHM friends.  

The SAHM blues are very contagious, but there is an antidote. Create your network and work at keeping it in place. Stay in touch with your new found friends and don't wait for them to ask you to hang out. I encourage you to put yourself out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment